I’ve, not so secretly, been on a health mission. It started off with me just wanting to motivate my son to train harder during track season. It’s transformed into a mission for me to live a healthier life so that I can lead my family to healthy and happy lives as well.
Boy. What have I gotten myself into? It started March 15. Well, actually, it started about two weeks before then, but I caught a horrible cold and took a week off. So, we’re going with March 15th.
There are a few things I, personally, started doing as I approached this healthy lifestyle. They are nothing drastic.
1. Stopped drinking sodas: I don’t even buy them for the house anymore. If the kids or my husband want a soda. We can make it a treat night and head over to the nearest gas station to buy a cold one or splurge a bit and go to Sonic. I’ve replaced my “soda habit” with a LOT of water. I drink water all day. During dinner, I drink iced tea, milk, or water. I have even experimented with smoothies! The Nutri Ninja Pro
been awesome for blending vegetables, fruits, and nuts as a sweet healthy treat (or even a replacement meal). You can learn more about it at www.ninjakitchen.com.
2. Cut out the junk: I don’t have to explain what junk is to you. We can go on about sugars and carbs, but I’m talking JUNK. I’m talking fast food and chocolate chip cookies and potato chips. THE JUNK. I’m mindful of what I’m putting in my mouth. So, while I’m not on any specific diet, you can say I’m filling up on lean protein, vegetables, and fruits. That’s really about it. I don’t deny myself of something if I want it. For instance, I made mashed potatoes for the kids last night during dinner. I added about half a cup to my plate and enjoyed. It’s all about moderation for me.
3. Started running: I keep writing about it, because I’m just SO excited that running has found it’s way back to my life. I’ve got a long LONG way to go, but I’m slowly improving.
This was day 1 of running.
This was day 10 of running.
I didn’t start off wanting to lose weight. This wasn’t my goal (although I could benefit from a better figure, I’m sure). My goal was to simply feel better. I was always tired. I got winded playing basketball with my son. I wanted to BE better so I can DO better. I want my kids to see me live a healthy lifestyle so they can know the importance of healthy choices.
As I dive into this healthy lifestyle, I’ve learned that the weight is coming off pretty easy. It’s probably because my body is in shock at the change. I started this journey at 178 lbs. (I know, gasp!). I’m now down to 168 lbs.
Total weight loss: 10 lbs
This weight loss happened over about 12 – 14 days. I plan to weigh in every Wednesday and post it here. This keeps me accountable to YOU guys, but it also helps me track the journey ahead. Maybe I’ll get brave and post body photos… you know like BEFORE and AFTER. I’m not there yet.
I want to say, as well, that this isn’t JUST about losing physical weight. This is about losing the mental negative weight we, often, carry around with us. This is about losing bad eating habits. Losing negative thoughts. Losing yourself and gaining a new found strength you didn’t know existed.
Some Wednesdays I’ll weigh-in with actual pounds lost. Some days, I’ll weigh-in with profound lessons I’ve learned and how I’m choosing to overcome them.
If you want to join in with me, I’d love to have you! Here’s a few ways to join in the fun.
1. Blog about your health journey. Every Wednesday weigh-in with either your exact weight loss (you don’t have to say how much you weigh, just how much you lost) or one thing you’re doing different to live a healthy lifestyle.
2. Sign in on the linky below with your name and url so others who are participating can read and comment on your blog. Hey! We’re in this together.
3. Don’t have a blog? That’s okay! Leave a comment in section below and tells us your story.
Disclosure: Ninja Kitchen sent me a free Nutri-Ninja to review (that will come soon). This, however, does not reflect any opinions stated here. I’m simply trying to live healthier and journal my honest experience.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016