I was talking on the phone with a friend of mine yesterday. We used to have daily talks in person, but circumstances have lead to a phone call once every other week. As we talked about the daily grind of her job and my new transition to working from home, she told me a story. It was a story with a profound impact on how she lives her life… and how I want to live mine.
She told me, “I am not weak.”
Imagine being in a meeting where your asked to explain your strengths and your weaknesses. It’s difficult to “talk yourself up” in front of people. I get that. But is it easier to talk down about about yourself to come across as humble?
I think it is.
And it’s not okay.
If I was in this meeting, I’m not sure how I would have answered the request for me to publicly name my strengths and weaknesses. Let me try.
1. I’m eager to learn and try new things.
2. I know how to build and manage a community, whether online or in real life.
3. I’m tech savvy.
4. I work well under pressure and deadlines.
5. I’m a people person.
6. I have patience.
7. I’m creative.
8. I’m great at public speaking.
9. I’m rarely ever late. Always punctual.
10. I know when to speak and when to listen.
1. I am not weak.
It’s not me saying I don’t struggle. There are areas where I struggle. There are things, in which, I do not excel. But I’m not weak. There is nothing in my heart or my soul that is weak.
My actions exude leadership.
My words breathe life.
My ability comes from strength.
That’s not me being arrogant.
I am not weak. I’m built on the foundation of Jesus Christ and MY God is not weak, therefore, neither am I if I’m in His will.
I wrote this today as encouragement to, not only myself, but to anyone reading this. You are not weak. You have the strength of a lion. Your peers might try to tear you down, but be encouraged today.
You are not weak.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016