Our family has been counting down to February 12. That’s when we get our oldest son’s SAT scores. He’s only in 7th grade, but he was selected to be in the DukeTip Talent Search. Junior High students can take the SAT or ACT test early and gauge where they stand against others their age in the country. To say we are excited, would be an understatement.
I say that to emphasize the importance of college preparation and support. My daughter, who is in 5th grade, is already researching scholarships to ensure she goes to Baylor University. I never thought we would be thinking college so early in life, but we understand the competition is fierce and scholarships are the best chance for our kids to afford college. So, today I’m letting you know about a scholarship for high school seniors and college freshman who have a passion for the arts.
Creating beautiful wall décor is a passion of WallPops. This scholarship gives them the opportunity to support those who share their passion for design. It is their hope that by providing help to aspiring artists studying in creative fields, they will do a small part to foster their future success. They also hope that WallPops will serve as an inspiration to talented individuals who seek careers in the creative sphere. They are proud to be able to give back and support the educational endeavors of students pursuing art degrees.
Award: One–time $1,000 award for an accredited 4 year college or university.
Number of Available Scholarships: 2
Eligibility: Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the scholarship.
- Demonstrates a passion for the arts with plans on beginning or continuing an art related education
- Is a citizen of the United States of America
- Has a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Enrolled full–time in an US high–school with expected 2015 graduation, or completed GED (attach transcripts or official record); OR is Enrolled full–time as a college freshmen at the undergraduate level with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 at the time of application (attach transcripts or official record)
Application Process: Application materials must be received by May 22, 2015 in order to be considered. The following materials should be submitted via postal mail:
- Completed application form.
- Letter of Acceptance at U.S. accredited 4-year college or university.
- Official transcript demonstrating achieved GPA.
- A typed essay (no more than 2-pages, double-spaced) addressing one of the following topics:
1. Of all the jobs that incorporate art, where would you like to see your studies lead you?
2. What is one thing that you have done outside of the classroom that means the most to you and demonstrates your creativity?
3. Explain the importance of art in today’s society.
Recipients will be selected by members of the Wallpops Scholarship Committee based on application materials provided. Awarded applicants will be notified of the committee‘s decision by 6/12/2015. Payment will be made directly to the recipient‘s school of choice upon notification and in accordance with the school‘s scholarship guidelines.
From all of us here at FamilyAppeal, good luck and best wishes!
Sara Patterson has been blogging since 2007, but took a break for a couple years to tackle the world of news. She was the Social Media Director for a Houston based market 10 news station for over 2 years, but decided it was time to go back to her roots as a parenting blogger so she can spend more time with her family. Follow her personal Twitter account @SocialNewsSara, blogging account @Family_Appeal, or community involvement account @HFTexans.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016