Today my son and I picked up some frozen pizzas for a quick dinner after our T-Ball game tonight. Our month has kind of been like that. You know what I’m talking about right? We all have that ONE month or week or day that there just isn’t enough time to cook a well balanced meal.
So, what do you do when you have little time in the day to make something nutritious and delicious for the family? Well, we always turn to some of the kids favorites. For instance, they love grilled cheese sandwiches, but how do you make that into a meal that will feed a family of five? Well, you add in fresh fruit and veggies of course! Today, I’m talking about how to make the perfect grilled cheese. It’s quick and simple, right?
|We used these teeny tiny Hormel Pepperoni in our grilled cheese, yum!|
- Don’t overheat! Using low to moderate heat is the key to a perfect golden brown on the outside, gooey on the inside grilled cheese sandwich.
- To ensure the bread is brown, but not burned, spread a mixture of softened butter and oil directly to the bread, not the pan. Using a pastry brush will help distribute the mixture perfectly across the bread.
- Carefully select your cheeses to ensure you pick ones that are soft and melt well. Cheddar, American and mozzarella are always safe bets. Covering your skillet is also a good way to ensure that the cheese melts but the bread does not burn.
- If you like to add a little bit of extra flair to your grilled cheese with the addition of ingredients, sandwich the ingredients between two layers of cheese so that they melt in perfectly. Try adding a few slices of tomato or sprinkle in some Hormel® pepperoni minis or Hormel® fully cooked bacon to your sandwich.
- Add in Extra Cheese. My husband LOVES his sandwiches to be extra cheesy. So, when possible, we add in two slices of cheese.
- There are several different pans you can use to cook your grilled cheese- grab a cast iron skillet, frying pan, cart iron griddle, or a grill pan
How do YOU make the ultimate grilled cheese? Any tips to grill to perfection?
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016