This year there will be no chocolates, no flowers, no fancy gifts exchanged between my husband and I. Before you jump to panic mode, we’re not having problems in “Blogger Marital Bliss,” but we have decided to skip the Holiday with each other this year.
He likes to say we’re postponing it, but I’ll say skip. Why would we do that? Why would we intentionally decide NOT to shower each other with extravagant gifts on the ONE day designed for it? Well, we received a very unexpected opportunity to visit New York City next month on our anniversary. All the basic expenses are covered like airfare, hotel, and food, but everything else is on us. So, we’re going sans Valentine’s Day in order to make our NYC trip THAT much better. In your marriage, have you ever decided to skip a Holiday?
Although we BOTH decided it would be best not to spend the money on gifts this year, I’ve got to admit. I’m a little sad. Don’t get me wrong, the chance to go to to NYC with my guy is a gift in itself, but …… IT’S VALENTINE’S DAY!
- The day every girl secretly (or not so secretly) loves
- The day you don’t need an excuse to dress in red
- The day you summon your inner creativity and make heart shaped everything
- The day you watch the door and wait for flowers to be delivered
- The day you eat chocolates and put the other half back in the box
- The day you never get tired of hearing I Love You from everyone
- The day you elaborately show your husband (or wife) just how much you love them
- The day you have fancy dinners, wear high heels, and talk about how you met
It’s THAT day.
And we’re skipping it?
Yeah. We’re skipping it.
We’ve done this before. We skipped Christmas (or actually the gift giving part of Christmas) about 7 years ago due to lack in funds. I was a bit heartbroken, however, I knew there was no other way.
This year, I know there is no other way to save up the funds we need to thoroughly enjoy NYC unless we sacrifice this Holiday.
While there won’t be gifts exchanged between my husband and I, there IS an exciting day planned. I have a Spa Gift Card burning a hole in my pocket. So, I already booked my facial and massage at Beyond Beaute Spa here in Deer Park that morning.
Then, we’re off to a Valentine’s banquet at Church for a spaghetti dinner and a group viewing of the movie Courageous.
Not too shabby
Not too shabby
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016