So, there I am sitting at my parent’s house today when, on the television, comes the announcement that would completely change the beach front of Galveston, TX. I live about an hour away from Galveston Island and, when I was a kid, we used to go there ALL the time. Heck. Even early in our marriage, we’d head that way for Mardi Gras on The Strand, but something happened to the, once beloved, island.
We stopped visiting. We stopped talking about it. We just stopped enjoying “our beach.” Hurricanes from the past have done a number on Galveston’s infrastructure and I used to wonder if we’d ever make memories there again. Well, today I got my answer. Galveston Island is now in the planning stages with Landry’s to transform Pleasure Pier into a world class amusement park. Slated to open at the end of May, it’s being compared to popular destinations like Santa Monica Pier and Navy Pier. I, for one, am SO EXCITED!
|Click to Enlarge|
Everyone wants to know. What will this be like? Will it be like the Kemah Boardwalk? How much will it cost to get in? Will it have restaurants and rides?
Well, I’ve got the skinny on JUST what to expect and WHEN to expect it.
What: A $60 million family-oriented premier waterfront entertainment pier comprised of attractions including rides, games of chance and skill, a wide selection of food venues and retail shops.
Where: Approximately 1,130-foot pier extended over the Gulf of Mexico situated on 25th Street and Seawall Boulevard in Galveston, TX. The structure will hold between 6,500-7,00 people
When: Pleasure Pier is set to be completed May 2012
Parking: 500 premium parking spaces
Rides: Sixteen rides ranging from thrilling to gentle. Texas Star Flyer is recognized as the tallest swing ride in Texas.
Food/Beverage: Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. will seat 350 guests. The restaurant will offer indoor and outdoor seating. Gump on the Run will offer food to go and will be located next door to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Additionally, the Pier will offer seven quick service food and beverage options including smoked turkey legs, hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage on a stick, cotton candy, pretzels, and much more including an ice cream shop, Kids Party Zone for private parties and Birthday celebrations.
- 10 windows at the entrace’ two automated ticket kiosks, two Will Call ticket windows, three ticket windows on the Pier
- Tickets available at all Galveston Landry’s concepts
- Tickets good for day of purchase only
- Purchase tickets online at www.pleasure-pier.com
Pier Pass (Walk-on)
- $10 for adults and $8 for children
- Pass required for admittance to pier’ ride tickets sold separately at booths/kiosks
- Upgrade from a Pier Pass to a Ride wristband by paying the reamining difference ($15.99 for adults and $11.99 for children)
All Day Ride Pass
- $25.99 for adults and $19.99 for children
- Valid for all rides (good for day of purchase only)
- Daily colors of wristbands available
Family Four Pack
- $84.99 includes 4 all day ride passes (2 adult and 2 children)
- Additional adults/children must purchase ticket at regular price
Individual Ride Tickets
- Must purchase a walk-on pass to gain access to the pier
- Tickets start at $3.50 per ticket
**Ticket prices subject to change. Plus Tax.
For more information and to be “in the know” of the progress of Pleasure Pier visit www.pleasure-pier.com.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016