Fall weather is right around the corner but I am still enjoying the final crop from my tomato plants. The tomatoes are smaller than what I got in the heat of the summer but the wonderful sweetness is still there.
I love the fresh flavor of tomato pie but many recipes I have found are full of fat and calories from the crust and the mayonnaise. In order to make a healthier tomato pie, I use tortillas for the crust and substitute a small amount of olive oil for the mayo. This pie is bursting with the fresh flavor of tomatoes and basil. Enjoy this pie year round and it is great paired with a salad or a bowl of your favorite soup.
- 3 flour tortillas, burrito size
- Olive oil spray
- 3 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- ½ medium onion, sliced in strips and sautéed
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, sliced thin
- 10 leaves fresh basil, sliced in confetti like strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with olive oil spray.
- Lay the 3 tortillas so that they come up the sides of the pie plate and form a “crust”.
- Spray the tops of the tortillas with olive oil spray and bake in 400 degree for 8 to 10 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
- Spread softened cream cheese on warm tortilla crust. Top the cream cheese with ½ of basil. Layer tomato slices, sautéed onions. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with remaining basil , olive oil and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve immediately for freshest flavor.
Jennifer, Momma Findings contributor is married to Ray and a mother to two children – Emma, 11 yrs old and Alexander , 8 yrs old. An avid animal lover , they have two Beagles, a Dachshund and two cats in their family. She works part time as an accountant for a small construction management firm. As a new contributor, she’ll be focusing on recipes, Jennifer says, “I love to cook for my family and am constantly creating and trying new things for my husband and kids. I enjoy meal planning and stocking my freezer with homemade meals.” Please welcome her as our regular contributor and be on the lookout for more recipes for the palate, as well as food product reviews.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016