I’ve never been obsessed with makeup like some of my friends. In fact, I had this horrible incident as a child, where my sister and aunt thought it was funny to put nail polish on my eyelids as eye shadow. Talk about traumatizing.
I’m 30-yrs-old now and feel I’ve grown into a classic look all my own. So much so, that I feel confident in teaching my very curious daughter all about basic makeup application and when and where it’s appropriate to wear certain colors. There are a few basics I hold on to in my cosmetic bag that I think every stylish Momma should have, especially when teaching their daughter’s about a simple beauty regimen.
1. A good concealer: I’ve always had dark circles under my eyes, due to allergies and genes. Ever since I could remember I’ve tackled this problem. So, I keep a good concealer handy and NEVER leave home without it. If I was stranded on a deserted island this would be the ONE makeup item I’d like to have.
2. A blush and bronzer combo: My skin color is rather dark. I mean, I AM Latina so it’s no surprise. So, I need a blush that will really bring out my cheek bones. Bronzers do that perfectly while giving my cheeks color in the process.
3. A neutral eyeshadow: I don’t experiment very much with eyeshadow colors. It may just be out of fear because nobody ever taught me, but I usually stick with a palate of browns and tans. This will help bring out my eyes without having to know exactly how to apply it. You guys remember my eyeshadow experiment, right? I was SO scared to show you the real results, but MAN it came out so GREAT.
4. A brown eye liner: I’ve never done black eyeliner. I already have such dark features that I don’t like to go darker, know what a I mean? So, I like to keep a dark brown eyeliner hand to outline my eyes. I haven’t used liquid eyeliner yet, probably because I’m scared to. Yes. Yes. I am a makeup scaredy cat.
5. An eyelash curler: Nothing pops your eyes more than a good curled eyelash. I have a love/hate relationship with my eyelashes, but we’re working on it.
6. A good mascara. You can’t keep those eyelashes curled without it. Just sayin’. Or. Wait. Is it just MY eyelashes that refuse to stay curled?
Looking for premium makeup that won’t break the bank? I LOVE E.L.F cosmetics. We’re a family of five so makeup is usually last on my list of “priorities,” but E.L.F is SO affordable. What are some of YOUR basic makeup must-haves?
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016