School has started and the relaxing evenings of summer are over. My daughter gets out of school 4:15 this year so I not only do I need to be a good meal planner but I need simple recipes that my whole family will enjoy.
I created this recipe because the ingredients are always ones I have on hand. I also like the versatility of this recipe. This dish can be served over rice or in burritos. You could even add more chicken broth, black beans and turn into a hearty soup. If your schedule does not allow you to cook a 6 hour crock pot meal during the week, this is great to cook ahead on the weekend. Just warm up and serve on Monday or Tuesday night. It also freezes great and you can double the recipe and freeze half for another dinner.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup prepared salsa*
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Put chicken in 4 quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, mixing slightly to blend.
2. Cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or until chicken shreds easily.
3. If you want a thicker sauce, take out ½ cup of broth from slow cooker and mix with 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix until it is a paste consistency with no lumps. Stir back into chicken mixture, cover and cook on high setting for about 10 – 15 minutes.
*I would recommend using medium salsa for this recipe. The chicken broth and brown sugar will tone down the spice a bit but still leaving lots of flavor.
Jennifer is wife to Ray and mother to Emma, 11 yrs old and Alexander , 8 yrs old. An avid animal lover , they have two Beagles, a Dachshund and two cats in their family. She works part time as an accountant for a small construction management firm. As a new contributor to Momma Findings focusing on recipes, Jennifer says, “I love to cook for my family and am constantly creating and trying new things for my husband and kids. I enjoy meal planning and stocking my freezer with homemade meals.” Please welcome her as our regular contributor and be on the lookout for more recipes for the palate.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016