I was putting on my make-up a few mornings ago when I saw that glimmering shimmer on my head. Thinking FOR SURE it’s the lighting in the bathroom, I realized it’s a grey hair. Wait. I’m 30. As in, three zero. Should I start using anti aging skincare products already?
I didn’t cry very long because my daughter put it to me this way, “Momma, if you don’t age, I never will. You don’t want me hanging around here my entire life do you? Now come over here so I can pluck that white hair right out.” Yeah. She’s seven. As in, not-old-enough-to-say-things-like-that.
So, it got me thinking about old wives tales when it comes to beauty. My Mother has told me countless times that if I walk outside without any shoes, I’ll get sick. Yeah, you won’t find me barefoot very much, especially during the winter. She also schooled me on a few of my Top 7 Old Wives Tales about Beauty:
1. Chocolate will make you break out. Have you EVER broken out after eating chocolate? Yeah. Neither have I. I read somewhere that foods with lots of iodine can cause breakouts, such as your favorite sushi. Bummer.
2. Pull out a grey hair and two will grow in it’s place. I used to work at a salon, so I’ve heard this COUNTLESS times, “Don’t pluck it! Two more will grow in!” I wonder if that’s really true. I mean, if you’re going grey, you’re going grey. I guess a future of white hair awaits me.
3. Toothpaste can dry out a pimple overnight. Don’t say you haven’t tried it. I, first, heard this in the 8th grade from a friend of mine who was trying to console me when I got the biggest zit in my life. I was at the point where I’d try anything to make it go away. Guess what? It did. I hear it’s bad for your skin in the long run though. Eh. I’m going grey anyway, so who cares.
4. If you want to know what you’ll look like at age 60, look at your mother. Well, if that’s true, I’d LOVE to look like my Mom, but I have my doubts because all my characteristics from the frizzy curly hair to the dark skin comes from my Dad. Check back with me in 30 years and we’ll compare. Mmmmmmm K?
5. Putting mayonnaise in your hair makes it soft and shiny. Uhhh. Who’s done that before? I can’t say if it’s true or not, but wouldn’t that stink? Someone enlighten me. Please.
6. Cucumbers can reduce puffy eyes. My daughter asked me the other day, “Can we buy some pickles? I want to put them on my eyes for a beauty spa day at home.” She’s 7-yrs-old and has ALREADY heard that cucumbers can reduce puffy eyes. I had to reiterate that pickles may not work.
7. Dry Skin Causes Wrinkles. Now, I MAY have grey hair, but I don’t have wrinkles yet. I’ve heard dry skin can cause wrinkles, but I’m a big advocate of shea butter. That stuff smells so yummy and is GREAT for my skin. Try it. Like now.
Well, those are my top 7 Old Wives Tales about Beauty. Do you have any? Better yet, do you have any to disprove?
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016