Last week, I let all of you know about the Pureology Green School Makeover Contest. I’m excited to nominate our school, only because I’ve seen the affects a change like this can have on students, my children to be more exact. We’ve attended a green school before when we lived in Charlotte, NC and I’d like to see us thrive once again in one similar.
In honor of Earth Week, I’m bringing you guys ways your school can Go Green, aside from winning the Green School Makeover. It really is very simple.
I was talking to my Mother-In-Law who just, recently, moved into a new home. She says she took her boxes to a local school with a recycling container. She couldn’t help but smile as she told me the story of how a custodian ran outside to tell her how amazing this container is and how long it took the school to get it. This woman was all a gasp simply by a recycling container.
The truth is, most schools just do not have the support or means to give for green efforts. One surprising fact, I learned, is when a school is “greened,” operating costs for energy and water can be reduced by as much as 40%, and funds can be channeled back into textbooks, computers and other essentials creating more money for student resources.
A great way to, ultimately, help your school go green is to nominate them in the Pureology Green School Makeover, but you don’t have to wait for the winner to be announced. Schools can make subtle and small changes throughout the year to, ultimately, help them in becoming green.
- Create a recycling program.
- Serve healthy, organic or local food in school cafeteria.
- Conduct an “energy audit” to determine ways energy can be saved.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs and solar shades to improve natural daylighting of classrooms
- Switching to eco-friendly cleaning products
- Replace outdated or unsafe paints and carpets with new, non-toxic ones.
- Plant outdoor gardens.
To learn more about what a Green School is and why it’s important check out the post we wrote last week. To enter your school for a Green Makeover head over to: www.pureology.com/greenschools.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016