My little family has moved around more times than I can count on two hands. Seriously. Each time, it didn’t really affect my children, too badly, because they weren’t in school yet, however, when we started Kindergarten in a Memphis City School District, my concerns as a parent rose dramatically seeing the conditions my child would be in all day every day. No, they weren’t horrendous, but I saw, first hand, how it could change my child and his outlook about learning in general.
Fast forward to our move to Charlotte, NC, in which our school worked hard to go green. Healthy lunches and organic options were available for lunch. Recycling containers were placed in the cafeteria and class gardens were planted. Among many other programs, this school was the epitome of a green school and I saw how it optimized my child’s learning experience….. and I liked it.
Take a minute to watch this short video that explains exactly what a green school is and why it’s important:
Why Green Schools?
When a school goes green, it is not just the environment that benefits—students do too!
- Green schools can lead to improved student performance: When children learn in classrooms with natural daylight, improved sound quality and non-toxic paints, test scores can improve as much as 25%.
- More funds for student resources: When a school is “greened,” water and energy costs can be reduced by as much as 40%. These funds can be channeled back into resources that directly benefit students, such as new textbooks, computers and other essentials.
- Reduced carbon footprint: Greening a school significantly reduces carbon dioxide emissions that cause global warming, which affects us all.
Enter Your School for a Green School Makeover:
Every child deserves a learning environment that’s safe, healthy, free of harmful toxins and optimal for learning. Unfortunately, many schools across the country are subjecting children to unhealthy classrooms with poor lighting and inefficient energy usage, which costs most schools more money than they spend on books and computers. Global Green USA is working to change this by helping to ensure that every child has the opportunity to learn in a healthier, greener school. Pureology is pleased to present Global Green USA’s Green School Makeover Competition. You can help a school in your area by nominating it for a Green School Makeover.
- From March 1 – September 30, 2011, enter your school for a chance to win a “green school” makeover.
- There will be one grand prize winner and four schools will each receive $2,500 towards their green school renovations
To Apply: Submit photos and essays illustrating your ideas for the “green” upgrades your school needs. You can also upload a YouTube video– just include the video’s url in your application.
Enter At: www.pureology.com/greenschools
Next week, I’m bringing you different ways your school can go green. Is your school a green school? If so, what programs do they implement? If not? Don’t waste any time, nominate your school for a green makeover.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016