Meet Kanani. American Girl kicked off a year-long 25th Birthday celebration by introducing it’s 2011 Girl of the Year, Kanani Akina. Girls, just like my daughter, can embrace the desire to welcome and care for others with an open heart, otherwise known as the Aloha Spirit. We’re taken to the lush tropical paradise of Hawaii, as we’re introduced to Kanani, her cousin Rachel, and their their adventures together on the island. Available for only one year, Kanani will launch with two books that tell her story, a beautiful 18-inch Kanani doll, and an array of fun accessories.
To further engage girls, American Girl is introducing a national campaign in support of Kanani and her story’s inspirational message, including interactive Kanani retail events, Kanani and Me E-cards, and a partnership with the National Wildlife Federation® (NWF), a national nonprofit that has more than 70 years of experience fostering a connection to wildlife and nature in Americans of all ages.
Kanani™ arrives in a breezy outfit that’s perfect for island life: An ocean blue, floral-print dress with a sequined appliqué and ruffled hem, a faux hibiscus flower to wear in her long, loose curls, a traditional Hawaiian necklace made of pretend kukui nuts, bright blue, ruffled sandals, and Cotton underwear. The Kanani doll is 18 inches tall with a soft cloth body. She has hazel eyes and long, loose curls, and her movable head and limbs are made of smooth vinyl. The Aloha, Kanani book is the first story about this cheerful girl who helps others by sharing the aloha spirit of Hawai’i. Author: Lisa Yee. Paperback.
My daughter and I, first, fell in love with American Girl Dolls and books when we took part in the American Girl Shine On Now initiative last year. Up until that point, we started fully experiencing the culture and message American Girl sends to girls across the globe.
Since that day, my daughter has received a My American Girl Doll, the newly retired Felicity, a Bitty Baby she named Kennedy (Ganee and Papa helped her adopt her), and now the 2011 Girl of the Year, Kanani. I never thought she’d learn so much about this country, the culture inside it, and develop her personality into a girl who wants to make a difference through hard work, love, and support of others.
The news of Kanani was very exciting to us, as Mother and Daughter. It’s our way of spending time together, reading, and embracing our dreams as girls. When we received our Kanani Doll, we were still so overwhelmed with excitement. Taking her out of the box was most breathtaking, because she was nestled so perfectly. Upon taking out her hair net, her LONG hair just flowed down.
Worthy of being 2011 Girl of the Year.
You can purchase American Girl Kanani at www.americangirl.com for the suggested retail price of $100. Accessories and books vary in price.
One very lucky Momma Findings family will win Kanani, complete with her first book. You’ll absolutely LOVE her. We do.
With every American Girl giveaway we host, I like to give credit and online support to the American Girl Company who makes it possible. So, in order to enter, there are TWO questions to answer for your required entry:
1. Kanani is all about welcoming others and making them feel at home. How do you and your daughter embrace that spirit? How do you welcome others into YOUR home?
2. Head over to Kanani’s World at the American Girl website. Take a look around, then come back here and tell me what other accessory, book, etc. you’d like to have to go with your Kanani doll should you win.
Extra Entry Options (ONLY after the above 2 questions are answered):
- TEN EXTRA ENTRIES if you blog your answer to the above question. How do you embrace the Aloha Spirit? How do you and your daughter welcome others into your home? Please link to this post and www.americangirl.com
- ONE ENTRY PER DAY by following me on twitter. Then, tweeting about this giveaway. You must have at least 100 followers to be eligible for these entries. A great Tweet would be: American Girl announced Kanani as 2011 Girl of the Year. @Sarann has your chance to win her at MommaFindings. (link) NOTE: EACH TWEET GIVES YOU ONE ENTRY PER DAY DURING THE CONTEST. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR TWEET URL EACH TIME YOU DO THIS.
- THREE EXTRA ENTRIES if you “like” Momma Findings on Facebook. Go ahead and comment once you get there. We love wall comments!
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY becoming an email subscriber. Form on the right side.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY becoming a Facebook Networked Blog follower.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY follow us on Google Friends.
Contest starts today January 14th – January 31st 11:59 CST and open to US residents. Leave each entry in separate comments. You don’t have to be a blogger to enter, but please leave a valid email address for contact purposes.
CONTEST HAS NOW ENDED: Congrats to Eat Play Love (Denise) as our official winner of the NEW American Girl Kanani Doll. Please check your inbox on how to claim your prize. Btw, I love the fact that you invite your kids friend’s parents over for tea before the playdate to make them feel comfortable and welcome. I may have to do that too!
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016