Over the next weeks we’re celebrating Halloween. I mean, we’re REALLY celebrating with all kinds of baked goodies, mouth-watering cookies, and all types of candies. Secretly, I’m really concerned about my children’s teeth. My oldest two children have permanent teeth this year and cavities are my main concern as I try to limit their Halloween candy consumption.
So, what can you do over the next few weeks, to ensure your children are brushing the recommended time and doing it independently? I, for one, don’t want to sit in the bathroom and watch EACH of my three children brush their teeth every morning and every night. There just has to be a better way. Firefly Toothbrushes, by Dr. Fresh, provide in easy way for children to know exactly how long they are brushing and feel confident they are doing so.
FireFly toothbrushes, by Dr. Fresh, lights up and flashes for 60 seconds, the dentist recommended time for kids to thoroughly brush each row of teeth. The light can be activated easily by a press of a button or tap on the bottom of the brush, allowing children to learn and take charge of their brushing at a young age.
Available Designs & Colors:
- Hot Wheels
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Tweetie Bird
- Scooby Doo
We were asked to check out Firefly Toothbrushes before the infamous cavity infused Holiday we like to call Halloween hits us. Hey, I’m all for good fun and yummy treats, but I don’t take my children’s dental health lightly. So, a few nights ago, I pulled out the brushes, lined them up, and had them choose which color they’d like to have:
We’re were due to change out our toothbrushes anyway and I wasn’t really sure if they’d give up their battery-operated favorites to give these a try, but when they saw what these toothbrushes do, they quickly chunked the old ones and gave them a try. So, how did they fair? Well, there are a few things we loved like:
- Fun and Attracting: As I mentioned, my kids don’t usually want a boring old toothbrush. They like to have fun while they brush and opt for their favorite character or a battery-operated option. Firefly toothbrushes are bright, sparkly and innovatively shaped.
- Blinking Technology: There is a LCD light in the handle which incorporates “blinking technology” to flash brightly for one minute when base is pressed. The lights are bright and keep their attention.
- 60 Second Cycles: The toothbrush blinks for 1 minutes after the base is pushed. This keeps children aware of how long they are brushing. Recommended time to brush teeth is 2 minutes (1 min on top and 1 min on bottom).
- Soft Bristles: My children’s teeth are developing at a rapid rate. My oldest has lots of permanent coming in. My middle child is LOSING all her baby teeth and my preschooler is still learning how to take care of his teeth. The soft bristle strands on the Firefly Toothbrushes are individually end-rounded to prevent microscopic cuts to gums
Although, my children delighted in their new toothbrushes and I did a giddy dance that they can master the 2 minutes brushing time, there were a few things we had issues with:
- Size: My daughter, who’s 7-yrs-old, says, “Mom, these are really short.” She just couldn’t get comfortable holding this toothbrush, compared to her previous toothbrushes she owned. My 3-yr-old, however, had no problem. Improvement: There should be bigger handles for older kids ages 5 and up.
- Toothbrush Life: Dentists recommend you change your toothbrush every 3 months. Firefly states the toothbrush will last 200 times (about 3 months), but it doesn’t factor in how many times people pressed it while it was sitting on the store shelf and when children are first learning how to use it. My son pressed it about 4-5 times just trying to get used to it. Improvement: Change the packaging to where consumers can’t press it while on store shelves or improve battery/light life.
- Base/Turning Lights On: It sounds easy. You simply press the base and it turns on, but both my 7 and 3-yr-old had trouble doing that. It seems you have to press the button EXACTLY the right way to get it to start blinking. Nothing like being called into the bathroom every 60 seconds to turn it on for your kids. Improvement: I wish there was a way that the button is clearer for kids to press, maybe a switch of some sort.
|Base of the brush is a little hard to push for young children|
In the end, I’m happy there is a way to teach my kids how long to brush. Firefly kids toothbrushes can aid me in that department and my children LOVE the blinking lights. I spoke of how long the brush light will last, but $.98 each is a steal for families on a budget, like mine.
Firefly Toothbrushes can be purchased at mass merchandise stores including Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and Big-Lots for the suggested retail price of $.98 per brush. To learn more visit www.fireflytoothbrush.com.
We want you guys to have fun this Halloween, but we also want you to be healthy. Thanks to Dr. Fresh, one family will win a set of 5 Firefly Toothbrushes. That’s a whole year’s worth of brushes for one child!
Head over to the official Firefly Website and check out all their new toothbrushes. Come back here and tell me which ones you liked. That’s all!
Extra Entry Options:
- THREE EXTRA ENTRIES by following both myself and Firefly Toothbrushes on Twitter. Then, tweeting about this giveaway. You must have at least 100 followers to be eligible for these entries. A great Tweet would be: Keep those teeth healthy this Halloween & enter to #win kids toothbrushes @fireflytb (link)
- TWO EXTRA ENTRIES if you “like” both Momma Findings and Firefly Toothbrushes on Facebook. Go ahead and comment once you get there. We love wall comments!
- TWO EXTRA ENTRIES becoming an email subscriber. Form on the right side.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY becoming a Facebook Networked Blog follower.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY follow us on Google Friends.
Contest starts today October 19th – October 26th 2010 11:59 CST and open to US residents. Leave each entry in separate comments. You don’t have to be a blogger to enter, but please leave a valid email address for contact purposes.
***CONTEST HAS NOW ENDED*** Congrats to our winner Janet Faye with the comment, “I like Spider Man Firefly Light Up Timer Toothbrush.” Please check your inbox on how to claim your prize.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016