School is in full swing and I know this because JUST this morning my head twisted right off during the chaos of the morning rush. Okay, Okay, a bit of exaggeration, but I was seriously overwhelmed trying to pack lunches and get the kids off to school. If you’re a loyal reader here at Momma Findings you MIGHT have read, in my Music Monday post, that I was in “break-down” mode when the bus decided NOT to show up.
I decided no more, no more going crazy, searching for shoes, or backpacks, or library books, or hurriedly packing lunches. The chaos needs to stop before it gets out of control. So, all this week, I’m creating fun lunch time solutions for busy Parents including tips, recipes, and product ideas to make it fun and less stressful. Today, I start with the infamous packing of the lunch box and how Smucker’s Uncrustables MIGHT just be the answer.
Smucker’s has discovered a new way to seal homemade goodness into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich… without the crust! Uncrustables® are the perfect “grab-and-go” sandwich for families on the move. Simply keep them in the freezer, then pack them in your lunch in the morning. By lunchtime, Uncrustables® are thawed and ready to eat.
Thanks to Mom Central, we got the scoop on one of the hottest items being traded at school lunch tables across the country, Smucker’s Uncrustables. These are the answer for busy Moms trying to save time during the hurried morning chaos. They are frozen Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches, with the crust cut off, and packaged nicely for easy Grab & Go.
You have probably read somewhere on this blog that my youngest son has a mild allergy to Peanuts (it’s turned from severe to mild, praise God). That means no Peanut Butter in my house for any reason what-so-ever. This causes a problem for my oldest two children who love them some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Smucker’s Uncrustables is the answer for us, because they go straight from freezer to lunch box without coming CLOSE to my youngest son whatsoever.
So, what else did we like?
- Packaging: As I said before, these sandwiches come individually wrapped. There’s no messy jelly or peanut butter to work with and no need to battle the ziploc bags in the morning with those sleepy Momma eyes. (We all know us Mommas get, on-average, 5-6 hours of sleep a night. If you get more, well… move along, move along, I may just have to put you on my Moms I Don’t Want to Talk To List.
- Variety: Smucker’s Uncrustables come in a variety of flavors such as Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam, Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly, and Peanut Butter and Honey. You can also get them on whole wheat bread as well!
- Thaws Well: I’ve mentioned they go well in lunch boxes because you can put these suckers straight from freezer to lunch box and by the time lunch comes around they’ll be all thawed out and ready-to-eat for your child. Or possibly ready for that ultimate trade at the lunch table. My daughter said she was offered 3 Twinkies to exchange the other day. My question was Who packs their kids 3 twinkies?
- Bread: I, seriously, think I’m in love with whatever bread they use to make these things. It is SO soft and practically melts in your mouth as soon as you bite it. It HAS to be made with some Top Secret flour or grain because… Wow.
Momma Suggestions and Improvements:
You might have read between the lines and figured that I want to marry these Uncrustables, but it’s quite the contrary. I don’t. Ok. Maybe I do. All kidding aside there are a few things I wanted to share with you to help you develop your own marital relationship with these sandwiches.
- Thawing Process: Yes, they thaw perfectly sitting in a lunchbox with the hours passing by, BUT what do you do when the kids want one RIGHT THEN? Eek. I tried microwaving them for a few seconds. This causes my mouthwatering bread to turn a bit mushy because of the over-heated jelly/jam. Suggestion: Don’t microwave it. Yeah, I know it’s not much of a suggestion, but I’ve found it just doesn’t turn out well for us. Better Suggestion: When making older siblings lunches, pack an extra and stick it in the fridge for younger children at home. This saves times on making them lunch AND the Uncrustables are completely thawed by meal-time.
- Allergy Allert: These sandwiches are SO good, but not so good for those who suffer from food allergies, namely Peanut allergies. I’m stuck in the middle because my older kids love peanut butter with an unexplainable passion, but my little 3-yr-old man just can’t have it. Yeah, they work perfectly to pack into lunches, but he doesn’t like being left out. Improvement: I’d love to see Smuckers make a peanut free line of Uncrustables, maybe using a Soy or Almond Butter.
Overall, Smuckers Uncrustables are perfect for packing school lunches and they save Momma a HUGE amount of time. Really, anything that saves me time is a winner in my book. If they ever make them in a Peanut Free form, I’d say they’d be downright perfect.
Smucker’s Uncrustables can be found at most grocery stores in the froze food aisle. To learn more about Uncrustables or download valuable coupons visit www.uncrustables.com
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016