A few years ago, I just HAD to get my kids tons and tons of Moon Sand. I mean, how can they NOT like it. It’s SAND you can MOLD! What’s not to like? Well, my assumptions proved right and they absolutely loved it. My husband, on the other hand, did not. He stated that Moon Sand has taken over our house and made itself comfortable in every nook and cranny it can find. He was right.
So, when Team Mom asked me to review Moon Dough, the dough that never dries out, I thought, Well, it looks promising and it’s not sand. They kids will love it! I was right, but did it barge into our home unexpected like your drunk uncle during the Holidays? My kids put the Moon Dough Barn Playset to the test and I tested the Moon Dough “Clean Up” Process. What kind of results do you think it rendered?
Moon Dough, made by Spin Master, is an amazing new molding compound unlike anything you’ve seen before! It’s soft and marshmallow-like, cleans up easily, and never dries out, so you can use it again and again. It’s also hypo-allergenic and wheat-free. Best for ages 2-4.
Moon Dough Play Sets:
There are a variety of Play Sets to accompany your Moon Dough including:
- Moon Dough Barnyard
- Moon Dough Pizza Shop
- Magic Molding Doghouse
- Moon Dough Burger Shop
What To Expect:
When you purchase the Moon Dough Barnyard Play Set, you’ll expect to see all the contents nestled nicely, and individually wrapped, like so:
The set comes with 3 colors of Moon Dough, yellow, blue, and white, along with a small playmat. You can expect to put a few pieces together on the farm and open the bags of dough, but that’s about it regarding the “construction” stage.
To create animals, you simply pop the dough into the top and turn the lever one click. You have three different animals you can make: Cow, Sheep, and Chicken. They, then, roll out the barn door.
Momma Findings Family Thoughts:
You can always expect my ENTIRE family to put their two sense in when I review products. I don’t just go with what my children say, or what I think, but we also bring Daddy into the mix. So, Moon Dough? How did it fair? Well, here’s what we liked:
- Texture: This stuff REALLY feels like Marshmallows! Well, actually it reminds me of Peeps, but softer. It was hard for me not to want to eat it.
- Themes: Each play set has a theme, such as a Pizza Shop or Barnyard. This is a great way for imaginative play.
- Colors: I love that you’re not stuck with the same color when creating. Moon Dough comes in 8 great colors, blue, green, white, orange, purple, red, pink, and yellow.
- Play Mat: Play dough gets messy. Well, so does Moon Dough. It comes with a play mat (imagine a bonified place mat) to keep dough off of your table, carpet, or furniture.
- Easy to Mold: My 3-yr-old found that the Moon Dough was VERY easy to mold, especially into the haystacks and fences. The molds for both come in the package. Check it out:
All in all, my kids thought the Moon Dough was out of this world! No surprise there, I figured as much, but how was the clean-up process?
Momma Findings Improvements and Suggestions:
When we received our Moon Dough package, it was after a late night out. We spent the evening with our older two for an End-of-Summer celebration dinner. I wanted to wait until the next day, however, my kids could NOT wait to play. So play we did, but how did I end up with late night clean-up? As always, I have a few improvements I’d like to add:
- Containment: I found it very difficult to contain the dough. Spin Master does provide a play mat, however, it’s very small and moon dough, when played with, spreads out faster than an ant hill when stepped on. See it creeping away? Suggestion: Use a big vinyl table cloth on the floor. I tried playing on the table when I realized it was falling to the floor fast. Using the table cloth makes for easier containment and clean-up
- Storage: There is none. I mean, each color of Moon dough, comes nestled nicely in a bag, but it’s not resealable. It’s impossible to keep it in there without some of it coming out when your’re cleaning up. Suggestion: Repackage each color of dough into ziploc bags or plastc tupperware-like containers. This also makes for it easier for little hands to grab and play with.
I’ll have to admit, my opinion of Moon Dough is split right down the middle. My children LOVED it, however, Momma was very disappointed that I spent more time cleaning it up than enjoying it with my children.
Moon Dough is available at Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, KMart, Amazon.com, A.C. Moore, Michaels, and eToys. Barnyard Play Set retails for the suggested price of $19.99. Refills are available for purchase as well.
This post made possible by Spin Master through Team Mom. Opinions stated are, solely, my own and not compensated or wavered in any other way.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016