I’m discovering that raising girls is heartbreaking, yet satisfying and sweet all at the same time. If there’s one thing I appreciate about my 6-yr-old daughter Abby, it’s her spirit of goodwill and willingness to help others. It melts my heart to see her share her things or give unexpectedly to friends in need. She has a generosity that reaches beyond her immediate ability and, as someone who knows her heart, I believe she’ll only become more giving as she matures.
A few weeks ago, I spoke of how sad I was that Abby stopped wearing dresses. She is no longer my preschool aged girl, but an intelligent and intuitive 1st grader learning about the world around her. Some of which she is learning revolves around the charities and how, girls like her, can make a difference. Today, American Girl wants to unite girls, everywhere, to contribute and help give clothes, books, dolls, and money to charitable organizations by launching Shine On Now.
Shine On Now™ is a new charitable initiative that harnesses the collective power of girls to help others in need. Through Shine On Now, American Girl is calling on girls across the country to help the company give $1 million in clothes, books, dolls, and money to the following four organizations: Kids in Distressed Situations, Save the Children, National Association of Children’s Hospitals and Related Institutions, and National Wildlife Federation. Beginning July 13, 2010, girls can visit shineonnow.com to contribute a free ‘star’ to the effort. The goal is to collect one million stars by the end of the program on July 31, 2010. In addition, for every star a girl contributes (she can donate up to 100 each day!), her name will automatically be entered in a daily drawing to win a new My American Girl™ doll.
How Can My Daughter Get Started?
Shine On Now soft launches today at www.shineonnow.com in which you can do all of the following:
- Become American Girl Ambassadors (girl provides first name and parent’s email address). Email is used only to notify parents of daughter’s participation and to remind them to come back and begin donating stars on July 13.
- Watch an Original Shine On Now Video
- Download a free Ambassador Tool Kit filled with fun and actionable tips for fund-raising and volunteering.
- Learn more information about the four charitable organizations benefitting from Shine On Now
- Discover a little about InnerstarU, the upcoming American Girl virtual worl
How Long Do We Have to Donate?
Not long at all. This charitable initiative runs from July 13th – July 31st, only 19 days to give! Today, simply gets you ready with all the information you may need, gives you time to learn more about the charities involved and tell your friends and family.
On the 13th of July, Shine On Now will have all the above features and you can start donating stars. One star is equivalent to $1.00 to each charity. You’ll also have the chance to win an American Doll each day by random drawing!
To celebrate the beginning and lunch of Shine On Now and InnerstarU, Momma Findings has partnered with American Girl to give away one American Girl Doll of choice to one lucky reader! The winner will be encouraged to videotape/photograph the moment as she gives the doll to the girl.
Nominate a deserving girl in your life or in the community to receive her very own My American Girl doll by including the following information in the comment section:
What kind of activities is she involved in?
How does she go over and beyond to help others?
Extra Entry Options:
- THREE EXTRA ENTRIES if you blog about Shine On Now and American Girl. Please link to the official Shine On Now website and this post.
- TWO EXTRA ENTRIES by following both Shine On Now and myself on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. Please include @Sarann @AGShineOnNow and hashtag #ShineOnNow
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY becoming an email subscriber. Form on the right side.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY becoming a Facebook Networked Blog follower.
- ONE EXTRA ENTRY follow us on Google Friends.
Contest starts today June 28th – July 13th (day Shine On Now officially launches) 11:59pm CST and open to US residents only. Leave each entry in separate comments. You don’t have to be a blogger to enter, but please leave a valid email address for contact purposes.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016