Don’t be a Patsy.. … uh.. er.. I mean a Sara.
Don’t be a Sara and ignore the cold weather advice from the news. This morning, my husband and I, woke to no water. I went to wash my sleepy eyes away in the bathroom and found nothing coming out of my faucet. I ran to the kitchen. Nada. Ran to the other bathroom. Nope.
No water and a big fat mess to fix before the kids came home from their Grandparents house. I don’t understand, we never had to prepare for cold weather like this in Memphis. This is the Gulf Coast of Texas where cold air shouldn’t affect us as it has.
If you’ve got cold weather coming your way or you’re in the middle of it, here are a few tips on how to deal with the the frost and hard freeze warnings.
– Protect People
– Protect Pipes
– Protect Pets
– Protect Plants
Let the four of those sink in a bit, because if you’re anything like me these are no brainers. DUH! I’m gonna protect myself and family by staying in, dressing in warm clothing, and keeping outdoor activity limited, however, there are other things others might not know such as:
– Never leave children alone near a space heater
– Don’t place a space heater on furniture or near water
– Keep heat sources (heater, lit fireplace) a good distance from drapes, clothing, and furniture.
– Disconnect outdoor hoses, drain and store in protected area.
– Wrap exposed faucets and pipes, including those outside the house or in unheated crawl spaces, attics, garages and other areas.
– If you have a pool, besides keeping the pump running, make sure all the valves are open as well.
– Bring pets inside, and move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas.
– Keep adequate food and water available.
If you find yourself with a frozen pipes like we did, grab your hair dryer. I had to borrow one because, well mine is 400 miles away (long story). Grab your blowdryer, point to the exposed pipe, and VOILA! Seriously, it took us close to 5 minutes of blowing and our water immediately starting running again.
My MOST important Cold Weather Tip? Take this time to snuggle up with your family, pop in a good movie, and drink some hot chocolate with LOTS of marshmallows.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016