We’re a family who loves playing video games together. If you’ve been to any of the Family Friendly Gaming Twitter Parties I’ve hosted, then you know that. as a Mom, I love games that connect my children with real life events.
One Nintendo DS game that combines fun gaming and an ultimate REAL LIFE event is:
About Winter’s Tail:
Take an exciting journey on your Nintendo DS and learn about the real-life story of Winter, an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin who overcame incredible odds. Including fun mini-games and a fully interactive storybook based on the Scholastic Book Winter’s Tail, read by the authors Juliana, Isabella and Craig Hatkoff. The release date is set for November 24th. Rated E for Everyone!
• Immersive Interactive Story – Based on Real Life Events
• Play Fun Mini-Games that reinforce the meaning of each chapter
• Discover Fun Fish Facts
• Interact with Whale Words – pronunciation and definitions
• Customize with the Storybook Editor, Paint and Color Mode and More
What We Liked:
• Real Event: Winter’s Tail is a true story about one brave dolphin. Playing the game and interacting through the story places your child right in the middle of it all, helping the envision the whole story that unfolded.
• Mini Games: I’m a big fan of mini games. My children are still really young and their attention span is limited. Having short, but fun mini games gives them small objectives giving them confidence in completing longer games in the future.
• Activities: We happened to love the simple activities such as Painting and the Storybook editor making it more personalized and adding my child’s personality to the game.
• Educational Facts: Winter’s Tail gives us fun fish facts we didn’t know, providing an education experience as well.
• Interactive Learning: Whale words and Vocabulary is present with additional definitions and pronunciations. I know very little about Dolphins and marine life, so this provides a learning experience above and beyond.
• Matching Book: Scholastic has a matching book telling you all about Winter’s Tail making it a great addition to the game.
Momma Improvements & Suggestions:
• Reading: My daughter is in Kindergarten and barely brushing up her reading skills, so there was a lot of aggravation as she tried playing because there is a lot of reading and learning. All great features in a video game, however, she needed a little extra help until her reading progresses.
What an excellent source for both fun gaming and learning! We like it so much we couldn’t help, but include it in our 2009 Holiday Gift Guide this year.
Buy Winter’s Tail wherever games are sold or on Amazon.com for $29.99 or visit www.winterstail.com for more information on Winter or the coordinating Scholastic Book.
One lucky Momma Findings reader will win a copy of the Winter’s Tail Nintendo DS game to add to your video game library!
Visit, the official Winter’s Tail website, and come back here to tell me a fun Dolphin fact you’ve learned or an activity on the site you liked.
Extra Entry Options:
– 3 Extra Entries for blogging about Winter’s Tail and this giveaway linking to this post and www.winterstail.com. Leave 3 separate comments with the url to your blog post.
– Sign up to be an email subscriber right there on the right side
– Add the Momma Findings button to your blog sidebar
– Follow Momma Findings on Facebook Networked Blogs.
– Follow Momma Findings and My Sippy Cup Runneth Over (my personal blog) on Google Friends.
– Follow me on Twitter (@Sarann) and send out a Tweet linking to both this contest and replying to @Sarann. Leave a comment with the URL link to your Tweet.
Contest starts today December 29th – January 9th Midnight Central Time and open to US residents only. Leave each entry in separate comments. You don’t have to be a blogger to enter, but please leave a valid email address for contact purposes.
**CONTEST HAS NOW ENDED** Congrats to Jessie C. Please check your inbox on how to claim your prize.
Latest posts by Sara Patterson (see all)
- Music Monday: Just Breathe - June 20, 2016
- There is a wolf prowling our schools - May 25, 2016
- Music Monday: I completely adore the song “Priceless” - May 23, 2016